‘Authubullaahi min ashShaytaan arRajeem.
Bismillaah arRaHmaan arRaHeem.
Allaahumma salay ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aalay Muhammad kamaa salayta ‘ala aalay Ibraaheem innaka Hameedum Majeed. Allaahumma baraak ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aalay Muhammad kamaa baraakta ‘ala aali Ibraaheem innaka Hameedum Majeed.
The narrations regarding generations of khayr have been grossly misinterpreted by so-called “people of knowledge.” They fabricated interpretations implying that the people in the early three generations [or centuries – qarn], were better than all other generations, or that they were the best of Muslims. However, that is not what the Prophet said and nor does reality affirm with this erroneous interpretation.
The Prophet of Allaah never said they were the best Muslims. A generation includes both Muslims and pagans. It includes hypocrites and believers. It includes the major sinners and minor sinners. No sane person will say that these generations – or centuries – were sinless and upright people.
The worst tribulations in Muslim history took place in those times. The craziest sects began in those generations. The vilest of innovations was invented by the scholars of those times.
And, of course, numerous recorded wars, the looting, the pillaging, the killing and the murder of pious men, took place in those generations.
One just needs to think a little to put doubt upon the foolish claims by the innovators regarding the piety of the people within those times:
- It was the people from the best of generations that murdered the third khalif Uthmaan bin ‘Affaan, the bearer of the two lights – Dhun Noorayn – who married two of Allaah’s Messengers daughters.
- It was the people from the best of generations that murdered ‘Ammar bin Yasir, who was from the earliest of Muslims and his parents being the first recorded martyrs [shuhaada]. ‘Ammar had fought alongside the Prophet in numerous battles against the polytheists, except only to be murdered by Muslims from the best of generations.
- It was the people from the best of generations that murdered another of the earliest of Muslims – ‘Ali bin Abi Taalib.
- It was the people from the best of generations that murdered Husayn bin ‘Ali bin Abi Taalib and his family.
- It was people from those generations that murdered ‘Abdullaah bin al-Zubayr and his supporters in Mecca.
- It was them who murdered Jaabir bin ‘Abdullaah.
- It was them who murdered the pious child of the great muhajir Khubayb.
- What about the civil wars between the Companions and others within those three generations?
Didn’t Allaah aza wajal say:
وَمَن يَقْتُلْ مُؤْمِنًا مُّتَعَمِّدًا فَجَزَاؤُهُ جَهَنَّمُ خَالِدًا فِيهَا وَغَضِبَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَلَعَنَهُ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُ عَذَابًا عَظِيمًا
And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein, and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for him.
And these are just a few historical accounts from hundreds of other incidents. Reality contradicts false scholarly interpretations that are an insult to the Prophethood and his purity.